Coconut oil is good for adding moisture and shine to your hair. However, it can make your hair look greasy and sometimes cause pimples on your forehead. In that case, how do you get coconut oil out of the hair?
Washing up can take a long time. Coconut oil, when used as a hair pre- and post-treatment, penetrates the hair shaft to reduce protein loss (1). This contributes to the volume and health of your hair. But too much of it can cause stickiness and washing your hair multiple times can damage your hair. This article tells you ways to get coconut oil out of your hair easily. Read more!
Why remove coconut oil from your hair?
You should wash coconut oil from your hair for the following reasons:
- Not everyone finds the scent of coconut oil appealing, especially those with a sensitive nose.
- Too much coconut oil on your hair can make it greasy and attract dust particles.
- Leaving coconut oil on the hair and scalp can cause sebum buildup and suffocate hair follicles, causing hair to fall out.
Leaving coconut oil on your hair for too long can do more harm than good.
What happens if coconut oil stays on your hair for a long time?
Coconut oil provides numerous benefits for your hair and skin (2). However, leaving it on your hair for too long can:
- Cause oil buildup
- Make hair oily (especially fine hair)
- clog pores
- Attract dirt and dust
All these factors can choke the hair follicles and increase hair loss. To avoid this, remove coconut oil from your hair after a few hours. Here’s how to do it the right way.
How to remove coconut oil from your hair?
- Use a clarifying shampoo: A clarifying shampoo contains a high amount of SLS (surfactant) that thoroughly cleanses the hair in just one wash. However, always use a good quality conditioner, as cleansing shampoos can strip the natural oils from the hair and scalp.
- Use a dry shampoo: If your hair feels greasy even after shampooing, using dry shampoo can remove traces of coconut oil. For a matte look, you can spray some dry shampoo on your hair. You can use baby powder or cornstarch instead of dry shampoo. Rub it gently on the scalp and let it soak in to absorb excess oil. However, avoid using dry shampoo regularly.
Here are some more DIY remedies to remove coconut oil from your hair without using a shampoo.
DIY Remedies For Removing Coconut Oil From Your Hair
If you don’t want to use shampoo and conditioner, use paper towels to remove coconut oil from your hair. Press a paper towel on the scalp to absorb the excess oil.
- Mint, rosemary and lemon water
Lemon is said to have strong cleansing properties and this concoction is popularly used for removing excess hair oil. Squeeze half a lemon into two cups of water and add a tablespoon of mint and rosemary. Boil this mixture for 5-10 minutes and let it cool. Wash your scalp and hair with the lukewarm concoction. Adjust the amount of water and lemon juice according to your hair length.
Clay has excellent fat-absorbing properties. Mix three tablespoons of Fuller’s soil and water to form a paste. Apply it on the scalp and hair and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
You can mix tomato paste and Fuller’s soil to remove coconut oil from your hair. Leave the mixture on your hair and scalp for 30 minutes and then wash it off with shampoo. This popular home remedy helps absorb excess oil, making it easy to clean your hair.
This is yet another popular home remedy to remove coconut oil from your hair† You can mix one cup of vodka with two cups of water and use it as a rinse after washing. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash your hair with water.
This is a traditional home remedy to keep hair healthy and get rid of excess oil. Apply a paste of henna powder and water to your hair and wash it off as soon as it dries.
This simple remedy is said to remove excess grease and coconut oil from the hair. Soak a cotton ball with witch hazel oil and apply it to your scalp and hair. Wash it off after 30 minutes.
Egg wash is extremely effective for washing out coconut oil from the hair. Apply half a cup of protein to your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash your hair.
This is the most popular home remedy to remove excess oil from the hair. Mix two tablespoons of baking soda and water and massage the paste onto your scalp and hair for 5 to 10 minutes. Wash it off with warm water.
Applying a mix of your regular shampoo or lemon water and aloe vera gel will also remove coconut oil. You can leave the mixture on for a few minutes before washing it off.
The acidity in lemon is said to remove grease and coconut oil from your hair. You can mix the juice of half a lemon and a cup of water and use it as a rinse after washing. Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and wash the hair with lukewarm water.
Dilute ACV and water in the ratio of 1:5 and use as a rinse. Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and wash again with cold water. ACV is said to soak up excess oil and balance the pH of the scalp.
While coconut oil is good for your hair, its benefits mainly depend on how long you leave it on. Washing off too early and leaving it on too long can be counterproductive.
How long should I leave coconut oil in my hair?
You can leave coconut oil on your hair for at least 30 minutes. For maximum benefits, you can leave it overnight. Washing it too early may prevent the hair and scalp from enjoying its benefits, and if left on for days, it can attract dirt and cause build-up and hair loss.
Here are a few ways you can apply coconut oil to your hair.
Apply coconut oil to your hair?
1. Coconut oil as a hair mask
To use coconut oil as a hair mask:
- Heat the oil.
- Part your hair with a comb and apply to the scalp and hair. Concentrate on the ends of the hair as they do not receive the natural scalp oils.
- Massage the scalp and cover your head with a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- Shampoo the next day.
- Apply coconut oil to dry hair in the evening for best results.
2. Coconut Oil As Hair Oil
To use coconut oil as a hair oil:
- Heat the coconut oil and rub it between your palms.
- Apply the oil from the middle of the length to the ends of the hair.
- Comb your hair. You can leave it on for a day or wash it off after 30 minutes.
- Once a week you can enjoy a head massage with lukewarm coconut oil. Emphasize several pressure points on the head and drag the fingers from the front of the scalp to behind the ears and to the neck to help move the stagnant lymph and toxins away from the scalp. Remember to wash the oil off your scalp after an hour because if left on for longer, it can lead to scalp infection, flaking, itching, etc.
Coconut oil is excellent for maintaining hair health. However, using too much of it or leaving it on for too long can cause problems such as grease, product build-up on your scalp and hair loss. The tips mentioned in the article will help you to remove the excess oil from your hair and keep it healthy.
Health Related Information has strict purchasing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policies.
Key learning points
- For smooth and shiny hair, you only need to apply coconut oil for 30 minutes.
- Leaving it in your hair for too long can clog your hair follicles, resulting in hair loss.
- You can use a clarifying shampoo with a high concentration of SLS to thoroughly remove the coconut oil.
- Using simple home remedies such as witch hazel oil or lemon and aloe vera can remove excess oil and restore the pH balance in your hair.