Today most people lead hectic lives. Before that, there is a significant amount of stress that most people face in their lives. It is known that stress does not have good effects on health. Long-term stress can have negative effects on the body, behavior and moods. It can also negatively impact short- and long-term physical problems, such as learning ability, impaired memory, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and a compromised immune system. There are many ways to reduce stress, such as yoga, exercise, and even the right diet to combat stress.
Top 15 Superfoods To Fight Stress
1. Green tea
Green tea has many beneficial properties that can help to reduce stress and calm the mind.
• Green tea contains powerful antioxidants such as flavonoids, polyphenols, catechins
• These antioxidants help create a positive mod
• They can have a calming effect on body and mind
If one is in a stressful situation, it is best to opt for several cups of green tea during the day. It is also preferable to opt for black tea as well. Both teas are known to contain beneficial plant compounds that can help counteract the effects of stress on our lives.
Blueberries have many benefits and most of them have been found to be effective in dealing with stress as well.
• Blueberries are packed with antioxidants that can help reduce stress levels
• The vitamins C and E contained in these berries, as well as minerals such as manganese and magnesium, are helpful when it comes to dealing with the effects of stress
• If the blueberries are consumed regularly, you can cope with insomnia, mood disorders and depression
This fruit is beneficial in many ways. You can even use these berries to make shakes and desserts from trying to lose weight.
You may have laughed at your mother when she told you to drink milk regularly, but research shows that regular milk intake can help reduce stress.
• Even a glass of skim milk contains a good amount of antioxidants
• There are essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A, D, as well as calcium and proteins
• Free radicals released during stress are combated by such nutrients
• Drinking a glass of milk will certainly make you feel calmer
Indeed, a great way to start the day is to have a bowl of whole grain breakfast cereal along with skim milk. One could also opt for other milk-based products, such as yogurt or curd cheese.
This green vegetable offers many nutritional benefits that help to combat stress.
• It is a rich source of vitamins C, A and B complex
• Contains minerals such as potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
If one consumes a cup of spinach daily, they will surely feel the relaxing effect of the vegetable on its own. One can add the vegetable to their wraps, sandwiches, but also to omelets or salads. The vegetable is known to have other beneficial nutritional properties for which the immune system is also well strengthened by its regular consumption.
Almonds between nuts are great snack options when you’re feeling stressed.
• The nuts contain many vitamins such as B and E
• The minerals it contains are healthy oils, zinc and magnesium
• It’s a great form of fiber
One can consume the nuts in their raw or roasted form. The nuts are often added in baked goods and desserts. Not only are the stress hormones lowered, blood pressure is lowered and energy levels are increased when one takes a handful of almonds every now and then.
6. Dark Chocolate
A favorite stress buster for many people is dark chocolate. Not only will chocolate lovers be relieved to hear this, they will also enjoy it because it won’t interfere with weight loss measures.
• Dark chocolate contains magnesium which helps fight stress, fatigue, irritability and depression
• Dark chocolate can boost our mood and lower our stress level
• You could even try a hot glass of chocolate milk or other dark chocolate dessert as a way to combat stress
One and a half ounces of dark chocolate can be consumed for its stress-busting benefits.
Fish are known to be good for health, especially cold water fish such as salmon. It is also good for breaking stress-causing hormones.
• It contains a good amount of omega-3 fatty acids
• These help control inflammation
• Happy brain chemicals are boosted by these fatty acids
• The brain cells can function more efficiently
It is suggested that two or three servings of salmon per week are good for both stress and the brain. You can also try other fatty fish such as sardines, mackerel and tuna.
Oranges are not only great for your overall health, but they also have unique stress-busting properties.
• Oranges are rich in vitamin C, which can help boost immunity
• It is rich in antioxidants that can help fight free radicals
• The free radicals that are released during stress are combated by oranges
• Vitamins A and B and other minerals help promote overall health
If a person consumes a glass of fresh orange juice daily, he not only improves his good health, but also combats stress and makes him feel good.
9. Brown Rice
Brown rice has many properties that can help keep the body healthy and keep stress at bay.
• It contains the vitamin B complex that helps to keep tissues, organs and cells healthy
• The vitamins it contains help with many types of biochemical reactions, such as the maintenance of red blood cells, brain function and heart function
• There is less stress in life and people suffer less from mood disorders
If one consumes brown rice products, they will be able to manage their irritability and moodiness well.
Avocado contains many essential nutrients that help fight stress.
• It consists of proteins, minerals and vitamins C and E
• Lots of fiber, healthy fats and potassium
• Such nutrients help keep nerve cells and brain cells healthy
• If someone consumes a fresh avocado, they will quickly notice that their stress hormones are reduced and blood pressure is kept under control
While one can consume the fruit as part of bakery products, smoothies, and other packaged products, it is best to consume the fruit in its fresh form.
Walnuts have unique properties for which it is recommended to people who lead stressful lives.
• It helps lower blood pressure
• The peak in blood pressure related to stress is kept under control
The nutritionists recommend consuming an ounce and a half of walnuts to lower blood pressure and keep the heart healthy.
12. Vitamin B6
One should consume foods rich in vitamin B6 as it has many benefits for those who lead a stressful life.
• This vitamin aids in the production of serotonin hormone
• This in turn has calming and healing feelings
The foods rich in vitamin B6 are:
• Sunflower seeds
• Sweet potatoes
These healthy foods can be included as healthy snack options to keep both hunger and stress at bay.
13. Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds are another small but important food source to combat stress.
• These seeds are high in folic acid, which helps the body release feel-good hormones
• The chemicals in the sunflower seeds help a person control their emotional reactions
14. Fresh fruits and vegetables
It is important to remember their daily need for fresh fruits and vegetables, which can also act as a stress buster.
• Fruits like citrus help you feel refreshed and in a good mood
• Green vegetables such as spinach help fight anxiety-causing hormones and lower blood pressure
15. Whole Grains
Carbohydrates are known to have calming effects and choosing to consume complex carbohydrates provides better health benefits.
• Carbohydrates are known to release serotonin, which calms the nerves
• The right kind of carbohydrates can help a person achieve stress-reducing effects without adding unnecessary calories to the system
If you choose to eat wild rice, oatmeal, or popped popcorn, they can keep blood sugar levels stable and keep you feeling full for longer.
Are you feeling the effects of stress on your health? Are you unable to reduce the negative effects through relaxation techniques? You need to adjust your diet accordingly to see positive effects from the stress-reducing techniques you use.