Arthritis is an autoimmune disease that affects people of all ages. The main symptom of this disease is the swelling, redness and pain in the various joints in the body. The intensity of arthritis pain can vary depending on the climate, the person’s activity level, and the foods they consume. There are certain foods that help reduce the swelling and pain associated with arthritis and there are certain foods that make arthritis pain worse. Reducing the arthritis pain will help improve the patient’s mobility. Here is the list of some foods that are helpful in reducing arthritis pain. If you are an arthritis patient, you can include many of these foods in your arthritis diet to help relieve joint pain. However, it is better to consult your doctor before making any major changes to your diet.
Foods to Fight Arthritis Pain
This is a great food to fight arthritis. Bananas fight arthritis and reduce the symptoms associated with it. It improves the overall health of the person.
- It contains a high level of potassium which is necessary for the proper functioning of cells.
- It contains vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, and folic acid that help improve the body’s immune system.
- The fiber in banana aids in the proper digestion of the food and helps maintain the general health of the person.
2. Olive oil
This is one of the best oils that can be used by arthritis patients. Olive oil contains healthy monounsaturated fats that are not oxidized in the body. Studies have shown that people who consume olive oil are less likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis. Make sure to use high quality extra virgin olive oil to reap maximum benefits.
- Extra virgin olive oil works similarly to over-the-counter pain relievers in people with arthritis.
- Use virgin olive oil as a salad dressing or use it to cook the vegetables to get rid of arthritis pain.
- Do not heat the olive oil too hot, as the nutrients in the oil are destroyed at a high temperature.
[Also Read: 10 Best Home Remedies for Arthritis]
3. Sweet Potatoes
This should be one of the main ingredients in an arthritis patient’s menu. Sweet potatoes contain more nutrients than regular white potatoes. They contain beta-carotene, anthocyanin, vitamins A, C, soluble fiber and minerals.
- Use organically grown sweet potatoes with orange or purple flesh.
- You can use steamed, boiled or baked sweet potatoes to reduce the pain.
- The vitamin C improves immunity and anthocyanin reduces inflammation in the joints.
- Replace the food preparations, including white potatoes, with sweet potatoes to reap the benefits of this food.
4. Green tea
Green tea offers many health benefits because it contains many antioxidants. Antioxidants are very effective in reducing arthritis pain. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the compound in green tea that reduces inflammation associated with arthritis.
- Make an infusion of the green tea by boiling the green tea with water.
- Drink at least 3-4 cups of green tea every day to reduce joint pain and inflammation.
Peppers are rich in vitamin C, which helps to reduce inflammation and increase the body’s immunity against infection. The antioxidants in paprika prevent the formation of free radicals in the body that cause the deterioration of health. It is better to use raw peppers in food preparations because the vitamin C is destroyed during cooking.
- The peppers aid in the formation of collagen and help maintain the skin and muscles.
- The capsaicin present in paprika improves blood flow to the joints and reduces inflammation.
- You can use them in salads and stir-fries
6. Whole Grains
Whole grains have the ability to reduce inflammation in the body. While the refined grains increase inflammation, the whole grains reduce inflammation. They are rich sources of fiber and other nutrients.
- Add more whole grains to your food. Whole grain breads and pastas are available in the market.
- You can use brown rice instead of polished white rice.
- Add whole grains to your breakfast to reduce arthritis pain.
There are several types of nuts that help reduce the level of inflammation. Nuts provide healthy fats for the body. It is necessary to include one ounce of nuts per day in the arthritis diet to benefit from them. It contains antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids that are essential for good health. They are also rich sources of vitamin E.
- The most important nut for arthritis pain is the walnuts.
- Chop and add nuts to your salads, desserts or vegetable dish or use them on their own.
- The anti-inflammatory nutrients in walnuts play a special role in maintaining bone health.
Mangoes are not available all year round, but make sure to eat them whenever you get a chance to ease the arthritis pain. Mangoes contain a number of antioxidants. Ripe mangoes are a rich source of beta-carotene. The beta-carotene prevents arthritis from getting worse.
- You can eat ripe mangoes or have them in your fruit salads.
- You can use them in the form of fresh mango juice or mango shake.
Apples are a rich source of vitamins and iron for the body. The iron in the apple is helpful in the formation of hemoglobin in the blood, which improves the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. This property of apple helps in reducing the inflammation in the joints due to arthritis. You can use them in your diet for weight loss and reduce the stress on the joints. This will relieve the arthritis pain to a great extent.
- Consume apples regularly to get rid of arthritis pain
- You can also consume them as juice or as a salad.
- Make sure to consume the skin of the apples to get maximum results as they contain beta-carotene.
Shrimp and shellfish are low in saturated fats and provide a lot of nutrition. The omega-3 fatty acids in it have been found to reduce the symptoms of arthritis. Shellfish and shrimp are rich in vitamins and minerals such as selenium, iron, zinc, vitamin B12, niacin. The selenium in seafood helps manage arthritis pain. If you are allergic to seafood or if you have high cholesterol, you should avoid these foods on the arthritis menu.
- You can include shrimp and shellfish in various recipes.
- You can stir-fry the shrimp or shellfish with vegetables in olive oil and consume them to control arthritis pain.
Salmon is one of the main sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, it is often used by people suffering from arthritis to reduce the pain. Omega-3 helps to reduce inflammation in the joints and reduces redness and pain. You can also use other fatty fish for this, such as sardines and mackerel.
- Make sure you eat salmon or other fatty fish at least twice a week.
- Avoid fried fish, but instead use grilled, baked, steamed or poached fish to reap the omega-3 benefits.
Lentils are considered a healthy food as it provides the necessary proteins that our body needs. This food is also recommended for those suffering from arthritis pain. The proteins are necessary for the maintenance of the muscles that aid in the movement of the bones in the joints.
- Buy raw lentils and cook them if necessary.
- You can use them in soups or you can make gravy with the lentils.
Spinach offers many benefits to arthritis patients. Spinach contains calcium and is a rich source of fiber. They contain phytonutrients that improve the overall performance of the body. There are many flavonoid compounds in spinach that have anti-inflammatory properties. The vitamin K present in spinach helps keep bones healthy.
- Always wash the spinach thoroughly before cooking it
- Boil the spinach for a minute with plenty of water to release the acidity
- Strain the spinach and use it in salads or with your lasagna recipe.
Beetroot contains a special antioxidant called betalain, which prevents the build-up of free radicals in the body. Potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron; fiber, folic acid vitamins A, B & C; beta carotene etc. are some of the many nutrients and minerals found in beets. Betalains have anti-inflammatory properties and are therefore a good food choice for people with arthritis.
- Do not overcook beets as the betalain is removed from the food.
- Steaming the beets for 15 minutes is the best way to cook beets.
- You can steam the quartered beets without removing the skin. You can add the steamed beets to your favorite salad.
- You can use grated beets to garnish salads or soups.
Tomatoes have been shown to be very effective in relieving arthritis pain. The main content of the tomato is lycopene and this content is responsible for reducing the pain.
- Add cooked tomatoes to your diet if you want to use them to relieve arthritis pain
- Cooking will release the lycopene in the tomatoes and our bodies will be able to use them effectively.
Soy is one of the best foods to help relieve joint pain in arthritis patients. Soy is available in the market in various forms. They are a rich source of protein and iron. Soy products are excellent foods to reduce inflammation and pain. Soy reduces the risk of osteoporosis in women.
- Add one of the soy products such as tofu, miso or tempf to your daily diet if you want to control the arthritis pain.
- Tofu has been shown to be more effective at reducing inflammation in arthritis patients.
- It is imperative that you consume at least 25 grams of soy protein each day to reap health benefits.
Are you a person who suffers from the pain, inflammation and reduced mobility caused by arthritis? Are you trying to improve your condition with the right diet to control arthritis? You can try the different foods suggested here and find out which ones are all effective for you in managing arthritis pain. Try to include two or three foods in your diet to get rid of arthritis pain. You can use the above foods in different recipes of your choice. The most important thing is that you consume these foods daily to get the maximum possible result.